A Brief Look into Our History...
On March 20, 1954 a meeting was held to organize an Albuquerque Bar Association (ABA), and by April 24th, by-laws were adopted and a Board of Directors was chosen. Although many solutions to problems posed by the Albuquerque legal system have been historically discussed, the most significant milestone, perhaps, was in 1956 when the Board of Directors considered the concept of a Lawyer's Reference Service. After much debate between the different Board of Directors throughout the years, this concept was finally tested in 1986, when President Thomas S. Watrous implemented a trial Lawyer Referral Service using volunteer attorneys. In 1989, President John Myer began coordinating with the State Bar of New Mexico to create what is now known as our Lawyer Referral Service.
The Albuquerque Bar Association also has a voluntary membership service for attorneys in the Albuquerque area. Aside from putting on the monthly membership luncheons, our Board of Directors has continuously worked to provide high quality continuing legal education classes. In 1965, the ABA began working with the UNM School of Law to provide such courses. In 1987, the ABA received accreditation from the New Mexico MCLE Board, and thus began hosting its own continuing legal education (CLE) seminars. Currently, these CLE seminars are held after each of our monthly luncheons.
Since 1958, our nation has celebrated Law Day as an opportunity for everyone to reflect upon our legal heritage, the rule of law, and the rights and duties which are the foundation of peace and prosperity for all mankind. The annual Law Day Luncheon is intended to celebrate President Eisenhower’s proclamation that this nation operates under the rule of law. Other important events that the Albuquerque Bar Association has historically sponsored include the Annual Roast, the Judicial Survey and the New Judges Reception.